Tom Webster is a marketing executive and the vice president of Edison Research. He also co-hosts his own podcast, The Marketing Companion, with Mark Schaefer. Tom has been in the broadcast research industry for 25 years and has quite a bit to share on the topics of interviewing, storytelling, and podcast statistics.
- 05:45 – Tom believes the standards in podcasting have gotten better.
- 07:25 – How did Tom meet his co-host, Mark?
- 10:15 – Tom has been in media and broadcast research for almost 25 years.
- 12:25 – What kind of podcast/radio trends has Tom seen over at Edison?
- 17:20 – Tom shares some examples of people who are able to make that jump from radio to podcasting.
- 19:20 – There’s a percentage of Millennials who don’t know what podcasts are.
- 21:25 – Podcast discovery is still a huge problem.
- 22:55 – Tips on increasing your podcast audience: figure out what you’re good at.
- 23:35 – Study the greats.
- 24:35 – Most things you hear from public media is scripted.
- 27:00 – Inside jokes do not work well on a podcast.
- 29:25 – Tom enjoys Jordan Harbinger’s interviewing style.
- 32:30 – What’s the best way to present statistics?
- 36:40 – Tom shares what surprised him the most on The Infinite Dial 2016 report.
- 41:35 – What should people be thinking about when marketing their podcast?
- 46:10 – What has Tom changed his mind about recently?
- 47:25 – What is the most misunderstood thing about Tom?
- 48:05 – When was the last time Tom laughed out loud?
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://www.podcastjunkies.com/tom-webster-interview/